The Catalinbread Formula No. 55 Tweed Deluxe Overdrive pedal is an exacting replica of the classic 100-watt Fender Tweed Deluxe 5E3 preamp utilizing JFET's in place of the preamp tubes.
"The Formula No. 55 is a Foundation Overdrive that reproduces, in exacting detail, the preamp section of the classic Fender™ tweed 5E3 Deluxe using an all-discrete JFET-based signal path. The Volume and Tone controls replicate, part for part, the circuitry of the 5E3, giving you authentic tweed amp response.
The output section is designed to give you lots of punch and volume with a low output impedance to drive your amp perfectly. Set the Hi-Lo button to “Lo” for the cleaner response of a vintage tweed. “Hi” is like hot rodding your amp by swapping in higher gain tubes.
Like all Catalinbread pedals, no SMD parts are used for audio circuitry. Only through-hole components selected for tone and response are used such as carbon composition resistors and premium capacitors. We hand-build them and we tone-test each one to ensure you get the best we can offer.
- Volume: From warm fat jazz clean to thick horn-like barking overdrive.
- Tone: Noon for flat. Turn down for warm, smokey tones. Turn it up to boost upper mids and cut through the mix.
- Presence: Adjusts ~ 5khz range. Set to noon to start. Turn it up for more bite! Turn it down to warm things up.
- Master: Sets output level. Lots of boost on tap.
- Hi/Red: Like swapping in hotter tubes, for more gain, overdrive and attitude.
- Low/Green: Low gain mode from clean to overdrive"