Players fond of the old adage “if it ain’t broke…” haven’t played a JB. You see, the G&L JB™ is all about refinement, blending “holy grail” Alnico single-coil tone with modern improvements and superb craftsmanship.
The JB’s classic Alnico V pickups have tone reminiscent of the best examples from the early ‘60s, thanks to the work of Paul Gagon, G&L VP Engineering. Gagon found his inspiration reviewing original prints stored in Leo Fender’s† private laboratory at G&L, but that was just the start. More than three decades ago, Gagon was an R&D engineer at another company when he was tasked with finding out what was so special about the early bolt-on basses many players raved about. Gagon tirelessly analyzed many examples of what were considered “holy grail” basses, spending time out on the shop floor talking to builders still working in the pickup department since the ‘50s, all on a quest to discover where the real mojo was – and wasn’t. What he learned from the builders matched his own engineering analysis. You see, back in the day, the actual spec of pickups coming that down that old production line varied considerably. That meant coming up with the right specs was more challenging than simply following the prints, and Gagon’s persistence paid off as the JB serves up delicious, classic tone.
This JB projects a time-honored yet subtly progressive vibe, embracing the past yet unafraid of moving forward. The slim, hard-rock maple neck features a classic gloss finish, while its comfortable 9″ radius and medium-jumbo nickel frets deliver silky playability. What’s more, the JB features an innovative Leo Fender-designed Saddle-Lock™ bridge to transfer string energy right into the body end-grain for an incredibly resonant instrument. Once you play a G&L Tribute Series, you’ll never look back.
• Lake Placid Blue, 3-ply White Pickguard, Brazilian Cherry fingerboard with white neck binding and white pearloid block inlays
• 3-Tone Sunburst, 3-ply Black Pickguard, Maple fingerboard with black neck binding and black block inlays
The G&L name, stylized G&L logo, distinctive “hook” headstock design, ASAT, Magnetic Field Design and MFD are registered trademarks or trademarks of G&L Musical Instruments / BBE Sound, Inc.
- CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
- SCALE: 34"
- PICKUPS: 2x G&L Alnico single coil pickups
- BODY WOOD: Basswood (solid finishes) or Swamp Ash (translucent & burst finishes)
- NECK WOOD: Hard Rock Maple with vintage tint gloss finish and Maple or Brazilian Cherry fingerboad
- NECK WIDTH AT NUT: 1 1/2"
- NECK RADIUS: 9”
- NECK PROFILE: medium C
- FRETS: medium jumbo, nickel
- TUNING KEYS: Traditional open-back
- BRIDGE: Leo Fender-designed G&L Saddle-Lock™
- ELECTRONICS: one volume control for each pickup, master tone